BILLERICA, Mass., April 4, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- American Science and Engineering, Inc., ("AS&E") (Nasdaq:ASEI) a leading worldwide supplier of innovative X-ray detection solutions, announced today the appointment of Jennifer L. Vogel, a seasoned corporate executive and board advisor, to AS&E's Board of Directors. Ms. Vogel was most recently Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary and Chief Compliance Officer of Continental Airlines, Inc., which was the fifth largest airline in the world and a Fortune 200 company. She was a key contributor to Continental Airlines' success, helping the company significantly expand internationally, address regulatory issues, and restructure and rebuild after September 11, 2001. Vogel also directed the legal effort in raising over $28 billion in total capital for Continental, and materially enhanced the company's ethics and compliance program. Vogel joined Continental Airlines in 1995 as Vice President, Legal; in 2001, was appointed to General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer; and was promoted to Senior Vice President in 2003. Vogel's extensive board experience includes working with corporate boards and advising on best practices for governance, compliance, audit, executive compensation, human resources, and crisis and enterprise risk management. In addition to having served on Continental Airline's Management Committee, Diversity Council, and chairing the Ethics and Compliance Committee, Vogel serves on the National Board of Directors of the General Counsel Forum (where she was Chair in 2010), and on the Board of Directors of Clearwire Corporation, a telecommunications company based in Seattle where she is a member of the Compensation Committee. "Jennifer Vogel's extensive corporate leadership experience, as well as her considerable experience with international and regulatory issues, will be of key importance to AS&E as we navigate the expansion of our products, technology, and services in global markets," said Denis R. Brown, Chairman of the AS&E Board. "Ms. Vogel's appointment, along with new President and CEO Charles P. Dougherty, will enable AS&E to further strengthen its industry leading position."
Jennifer Vogel has received significant industry recognition, including:
- "General Counsel of the Year" at the 2010 Global Counsel Awards; Ms. Vogel was the first General Counsel from the airline industry to win this award and the first woman to receive the honor.
- Recipient of the "2010 Transformative Leadership Award" by Inside Counsel Magazine in recognition of her efforts in promoting women in the legal profession.
- "Outstanding General Counsel of a Large Legal Department" in 2007 and for "Transaction of the Year" in 2010 by the Texas General Counsel Forum awards.
- "Champion of Diversity" and "Good Samaritan" Awards by the Houston Business Journal.
- Named one of the "Most Powerful and Influential Women in Texas" by the Texas Diversity Council and Texas Diversity Magazine in 2010 and 2008.
CONTACT: Public Relations Contact: Dana Harris Red Javelin Communications, Inc. 978-440-8392 firstname.lastname@example.org Laura Berman American Science and Engineering, Inc. 978-262-8700 email@example.com