Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. Occidental Petroleum Corporation ( OXY) pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today making it today's featured basic materials winner. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1.4%. By the end of trading, Occidental Petroleum Corporation rose $1.73 (2.2%) to $80.68 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 8.5 million shares of Occidental Petroleum Corporation exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 4.8 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $79.25-$81.73 after having opened the day at $79.60 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $78.95. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that increased today were: Synthesis Energy Sys ( SYMX), up 18.8%, BMB Munai ( BMBM), up 8.7%, New Concept Energy ( GBR), up 7.2%, and ECA Marcellus Trust I ( ECT), up 6.7%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- You can view the full Occidental Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.