While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 5 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Arlington Asset Investment (NYSE: AI) shares currently have a dividend yield of 13.60%. Arlington Asset Investment Corp., an investment firm, acquires mortgage-related and other assets. The company has a P/E ratio of 1.38. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Arlington Asset Investment a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. The average volume for Arlington Asset Investment has been 277,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Arlington Asset Investment has a market cap of $324.2 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 24.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Arlington Asset Investment as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, notable return on equity and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that we feel that the company's cash flow from its operations has been weak overall. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- AI's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 11.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 66.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT increased its bottom line by earning $15.11 versus $1.98 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 73.5% in earnings ($4.01 versus $15.11).
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $7.45 million or 16.67% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 16.67%, ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT is still significantly exceeding the industry average of -78.27%.
- You can view the full Arlington Asset Investment Ratings Report.