For an industry-leading ninth consecutive year, 3M has earned the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence Award for its comprehensive worldwide energy conservation efforts. No other company has achieved this distinction for that many consecutive years, or as many as nine times. The awards will be presented today at a ceremony in Washington, D.C. They recognize “a select group of organizations that have exhibited outstanding leadership year after year,” according to the EPA. “These winners have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by setting and achieving aggressive goals, and employing innovative energy efficiency approaches.” “Sustained Excellence” is the EPA’s highest ENERGY STAR award. “3M’s commitment to reducing its environmental impact on a global basis long predates the ENERGY STAR program; in fact, it’s thoroughly embedded in our corporate culture,” says Steve Schultz, 3M’s Corporate Energy manager. “The year-over-year consistency of the company’s ENERGY STAR recognition is a reflection of sweeping corporate initiatives that were instituted 40 years ago and have been vigorously and creatively expanded ever since.” Among its achievements in 2012, the company:
- Earned ISO 50001 energy management certification for two plants (ISO is the Switzerland-based International Organization for Standardization, which establishes uniform industry standards worldwide).
- Implemented 201 new energy efficiency projects and funded 23 smaller initiatives from a special corporate fund.
- Engaged in partnerships to further develop carbon dioxide separation and recycling technologies.
- Hosted a “Working with ENERGY STAR” workshop for local manufacturing companies.
- Initiated a facility metering project to better track and manage energy use.
- Hired a full-time analyst to organize facility energy data and mine it for new efficiency opportunities.
- Awarded $225,000 in grants to academic researchers for energy-related studies.
- Involved 78 3M facilities in the Department of Energy’s Better Buildings Challenge, collaborating with other industry participants on energy-saving techniques.
- Launched an education program to engage students in environmental leadership.
“The initiatives undertaken each year are broadly intended not only to continue our own progress but also to share what we’ve learned, and to encourage participation among our industrial suppliers while stimulating new avenues of research in the academic world,” says Schultz. “The overall objective is a better environment through wise energy management.”3M established a new set of sustainability goals in 2010 to be attained by 2015. Chief among those goals are reduction of volatile air emissions by 15 percent and solid waste by ten percent, and a 25-percent improvement in energy efficiency. The energy-efficiency objective already has been achieved and exceeded. About ENERGY STAR ENERGY STAR was introduced by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1992 as a voluntary market-based partnership to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through increased energy efficiency. Today, ENERGY STAR offers businesses and consumers energy-efficient solutions to save energy, money, and help protect the environment for future generations. Nearly 20,000 organizations are ENERGY STAR partners committed to improving the energy efficiency of products, homes, and buildings. For more information about ENERGY STAR, visit www.energystar.gov or call toll-free 1-888-STAR-YES (1-888-782-7937). About 3M 3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With $30 billion in sales, 3M employs about 88,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 70 countries. For more information, visit www.3M.com or follow @3MNews on Twitter. 3M is a trademark of 3M Company. Energy Star is a trademark of EPA. Note to editors: ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence Award logo available upon request.