Internet access is increasingly important to hotel guests and a key consideration when planning their hotel stays. New research* commissioned by IHG reveals that:
- 43% of adults surveyed said that they would choose not to stay in a hotel that charged for internet.
- 23% of respondents said that free internet in rooms and throughout the hotel is the most important amenity when staying in a hotel for business, compared to 7% who chose room service.
- Travellers from China placed the most importance on online connectivity - with nearly half (47%) listing it as the most important thing to them when staying in a hotel for business, followed by those from Russia (26%), the US (23%) and India (22%).
- Travellers from the UK (18%) and the US (14%) both listed paying for internet as the second most annoying thing when staying at a hotel after noisy guests (22% and 24% respectively).
- Globally, more female respondents (14%) say free internet throughout the hotel is most important to them when staying for leisure, compared to 2% who listed having an in-room hairdryer.
- free internet to all Elite status members from July 2013 and extending to all members during 2014;
- the ability to earn Elite status faster by staying in three or more of IHG's hotel brands;
- Reward Nights will count toward earning Elite status; and
- Platinum Elite members' "extra" nights will roll over toward maintaining their status in their next membership year