While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Ferrellgas Partners (NYSE: FGP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 10.40%. Ferrellgas Partners, L.P. engages in the distribution and sale of propane, and related equipment and supplies primarily in the United States. It transports propane to propane distribution locations, tanks on customers' premises, or to portable propane tanks delivered to retailers. The company has a P/E ratio of 60.06. Currently there are no analysts that rate Ferrellgas Partners a buy, 5 analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for Ferrellgas Partners has been 247,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. Ferrellgas Partners has a market cap of $1.5 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 15.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Ferrellgas Partners as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- FERRELLGAS PARTNERS -LP has improved earnings per share by 48.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, FERRELLGAS PARTNERS -LP continued to lose money by earning -$0.14 versus -$0.58 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.60 versus -$0.14).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Gas Utilities industry. The net income increased by 60.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $36.37 million to $58.21 million.
- FGP, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 3.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 20.5%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 48.93% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 29.13% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, however, we cannot assume that the stock's past performance is going to drive future results. Quite to the contrary, its sharp appreciation over the last year is one of the factors that should prompt investors to seek better opportunities elsewhere.
- The gross profit margin for FERRELLGAS PARTNERS -LP is rather low; currently it is at 19.60%. Regardless of FGP's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, FGP's net profit margin of 8.83% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full Ferrellgas Partners Ratings Report.
- GOOD's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 16.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- 49.50% is the gross profit margin for GLADSTONE COMMERCIAL CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, GOOD's net profit margin of 4.45% significantly trails the industry average.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, GLADSTONE COMMERCIAL CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $4.78 million or 9.18% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full Gladstone Commercial Corporation Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 10.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 48.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The gross profit margin for GOLUB CAPITAL BDC INC is rather high; currently it is at 67.20%. Regardless of GBDC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GBDC's net profit margin of 50.82% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Capital Markets industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 50.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $6.19 million to $9.32 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, GOLUB CAPITAL BDC INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Golub Capital BDC Inc. BDC Ratings Report.
- MARPS has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign.
- The gross profit margin for MARINE PETROLEUM TRUST is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. MARPS has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, MARPS's net profit margin of 95.41% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- MARINE PETROLEUM TRUST's earnings per share declined by 38.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MARINE PETROLEUM TRUST increased its bottom line by earning $1.92 versus $1.59 in the prior year.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 40.68%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 38.77% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 38.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.97 million to $0.60 million.
- You can view the full Marine Petroleum Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.