Northern Trust’s approach to philanthropy focuses on developing deep relationships with select nonprofits to help the organizations deliver the greatest impact. Northern Trust’s support of nonprofits includes grants and value-added support such as human and intellectual capital, event sponsorships and donations in-kind.In 2012 Northern Trust invested in its communities in ways that included the following: Corporate Contributions:
- More than $200,000 given to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy disaster relief.
- $2.3 million in Northern Trust Charitable Trust grants awarded to organizations working to improve quality of life and build self-sufficiency among Chicago’s underserved populations.
- $10.2 million in charitable sponsorships provided across North America, EMEA and APAC.
- Nearly 200,000 volunteer hours reported by employees worldwide.
- More than $550,000 in charitable contributions made through the Employee Matching Gift program.
- Northern Trust Community Partners program formalized to support and implement nonprofit engagement strategies led by employee volunteers.