Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- PDI (Nasdaq: PDII) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Health Care Providers & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 131.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$10.27 million to -$23.80 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Providers & Services industry and the overall market, PDI INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for PDI INC is rather low; currently it is at 21.10%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -66.78% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$7.13 million or 548.27% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- PDI INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PDI INC reported poor results of -$1.75 versus -$0.26 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.39 versus -$1.75).
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff