DVR killed the Linear Star? Not quite yet... a third of weekly content is recordedAlmost a third (29%) of all weekly content consumed is recorded. But live viewing still dominates – particularly with News – which is watched by 73% as it airs. Though DVR owners tend to watch an average of one hour more content a week, a third (36%) of all content recorded is never actually viewed. The US is the most wasteful content market, with 41% of recorded content never being consumed. The study sheds light on the reasons people record content.
- 77% record because there is other content airing at the same time, which the viewer would prefer to watch live
- 72% are hoarders – recording to collect the box-set
- 68% globally record to skip advertisements on commercial channels, rising to 75% and 74% in the UK and US, respectively
- Currently, 55% have downloaded or stored a TV program or film to at least one device
- 73% of global respondents have a laptop, versus 60% and 26% who own smartphones or tablets
- Majority of US (71%), UAE (79%) and Turkish (85%) respondents would be interested in this service
- Consumers in France, UK and Germany are less favorable to this opportunity, with only 50%, 47% and 41% saying they would be interested in this sort of service