Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Oplink Communications (Nasdaq: OPLK) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Communications Equipment industry. The net income increased by 331.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1.49 million to $3.46 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 13.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- OPLK has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 8.31, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- 40.80% is the gross profit margin for OPLINK COMMUNICATIONS INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, OPLK's net profit margin of 7.66% significantly trails the industry average.
- OPLINK COMMUNICATIONS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, OPLINK COMMUNICATIONS INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.15 versus $2.30 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.89 versus -$0.15).
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff