Additional study findings include:
- When it comes to working in financial services, 92 percent of students consider strong communication and relationship-building skills as ‘very important’ followed by the ability to understand challenges and apply tailored solutions (89%).
- Understanding financial markets and complex data is still considered ‘very important’ by most students (60%) versus 40 percent who see it as only ‘moderately important’.
- The majority (73%) value independence in their career, however, they do see themselves thriving when they are given specific objectives to achieve (43%) and half indicate that they would value a strong training program.
- Financial remuneration is seen as important, but less than five percent of students consider it a number one condition.
- The number of students spending the most time actively staying in touch with people offline (40%) is almost double that of those relying on online platforms (23%).
- Schwab is currently accepting candidate applications from junior year students for a ten-week intern program launching this summer. The program will rotate participants through several disciplines, providing them with hands-on practical knowledge of the industry, alongside corporate work experience.
- Last month, Schwab joined the groundbreaking on the new Paul Merage School of Business building at the University of California, Irvine which will feature Schwab’s new Trading and Technology Lab. The Lab will provide a tutorial environment, complete with demo data, so that students can receive hands-on experience as well as learn about a wide range of advisor activities from business development and client service to investment management and back office operations.
- For the past several years, Schwab has invited students to its IMPACT® Conference, the industry’s largest event serving RIAs. In 2012, Schwab hosted 50 students from seven schools who attended and participated in activities and sessions providing them with direct exposure to the RIA industry.
About the surveySchwab Advisor Services conducted the survey during the month of February 2013 in conjunction with Texas Tech University. The questionnaire was completed online by 103 students currently enrolled in the Personal Financial Planning Program at the university. The respondents included Undergraduates (36%), Masters (35%), PhD (24%) and Advanced Bachelors to Masters (5%). About Charles Schwab The Charles Schwab Corporation (NYSE: SCHW) is a leading provider of financial services, with more than 300 offices and 8.8 million active brokerage accounts, 1.6 million corporate retirement plan participants, 874,000 banking accounts, and $2.01 trillion in client assets as of January 31, 2013. The Company was ranked ‘Highest in Investor Satisfaction With Self-Directed Services’ in the 2012 US Self-Directed Investor Satisfaction Study SM from J.D Power and Associates. Through its operating subsidiaries, the Company provides a full range of securities brokerage, banking, money management and financial advisory services to individual investors and independent investment advisors. Its broker-dealer subsidiary, Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. (member SIPC, www.sipc.org), and affiliates offer a complete range of investment services and products including an extensive selection of mutual funds; financial planning and investment advice; retirement plan and equity compensation plan services; compliance and trade monitoring solutions; referrals to independent fee-based investment advisors; and custodial, operational and trading support for independent, fee-based investment advisors through Schwab Advisor Services. Its banking subsidiary, Charles Schwab Bank (member FDIC and an Equal Housing Lender), provides banking and lending services and products. More information is available at www.schwab.com and www.aboutschwab.com. (0313-1836) Follow us on Twitter: @Schwab4RIAs Read our corporate blog: SchwabTalk 1 The remodeling of the complex is made possible by funds from Charles Schwab Foundation and a donation of portfolio management software and packaged technology solutions including best practices workflows each by Schwab Performance Technologies ® and Schwab Intelligent Technologies™.