- 75 percent of business decision makers notice happier employees
- 37 percent report less absenteeism
- 48 percent of remote workers say they are less stressed, compared to a 25 percent drop in stress when working from home as reported in last year's survey
When it comes to support for at-home workers, the survey highlights specific areas of concern:
- 59 percent of telecommuters do not use their company’s data backup system, putting critical and sensitive information at risk.
- 33 percent of employees say dealing with IT issues is one of the most difficult aspects of working from home.
- 17 percent of business decision makers offer furniture, but only 50 percent of those respondents offer furniture installation services that can save workers time and improve productivity.
- 48 percent of telecommuters use furniture or technology that is not ergonomically adjusted for them, which can lead to discomfort, loss of productivity or injury.
- Connectivity – With IT connectivity issues being a main concern for both parties, telecommuting programs should ensure easy access to email, document sharing, instant messaging and video conferencing.
- Network Access – Provide remote VPN capabilities so telecommuters can easily access the network.
- Data Backup and Security – Employees need to be educated about data backup and security best practices to avoid risky practices such as emailing sensitive information.
- Ergonomics –Incorporate ergonomic furniture options into telecommuting offerings—59 percent of survey respondents would accept company-purchased, ergonomic furniture, which would create a healthier work environment.
- Storage – Desk and drawer organizers, file cabinets and additional storage options help telecommuters minimize clutter and maximize space, making home office environments more productive.
- Sustainability – Environmentally preferable furniture options not only help support individual employee and company green initiatives, but also help promote healthier work and living spaces.
Helpful Resources for Businesses of all SizesStaples Advantage offers products and tips to keep businesses running smoothly. For more information about Staples Advantage and solutions to support telecommuting programs, please visit www.StaplesAdvantage.com/telecommuting. About the Survey Staples conducted an online survey of 150 business decision makers and 150 telecommuters at organizations of all sizes across the U.S. The survey, conducted in November 2012, asked a series of questions about telecommuting programs, supplies and services provided, reimbursement and attitudes/behavior. About Staples Staples is the world’s largest office products company and second largest internet retailer. For 26 years, Staples has served the needs of business customers and its vision is to provide every product businesses need to succeed. Through its world-class retail, online and delivery capabilities, Staples offers office supplies, technology products and services, facilities and breakroom supplies, furniture, copy and print services and a wide range of other product categories. With thousands of associates worldwide dedicated to making it easy for businesses of all sizes, Staples operates throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. The company is headquartered outside Boston. More information about Staples (Nasdaq: SPLS) is available at www.staples.com/media. About Staples Advantage Staples Advantage, the business-to-business division of Staples, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPLS), serves organizations of 20 or more employees up to the Fortune 1000, including global businesses, local, state and federal government, healthcare organizations and educational institutions. The Staples Advantage one source solution includes comprehensive products and services from office supplies, technology and printing to promotional products, furniture and facility supplies. Dedicated to providing organizations with greater cost savings and improved ordering efficiencies, Staples Advantage provides a customized level of account support and best-in-class customer service. More information is available at www.staplesadvantage.com.