New Jersey American Water is accepting applications for green project funding through its Environmental Grant Program. Applications must be postmarked by March 11. The program offers funding up to $10,000 for qualifying, innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect watersheds, surface water and/or groundwater supplies. Grants are limited to supporting projects in the company’s service areas. Grants are awarded on a competitive basis and are selected by the company’s employees based on various criteria such as project goals, impact, innovation, design, collaboration, sustainability, and community engagement, among other requirements. To qualify, proposed projects must:
- Be located within New Jersey American Water’s service area
- Address a source water or watershed protection need in the community
- Be completed between May 1, 2013 and November 29, 2013
- Be a new or innovative program for the community, or serve as a significant expansion to an existing program
- Be carried out by a formal or informal partnership between two or more organizations
- Provide evidence of sustainability (continued existence after the grant is used)
- Salaries and compensation for support of a project or program an ineligible for the grant.