Key drivers influencing the Other category results in 2012 included the following:
- An estimated $4.3 million decrease in interest expense from the lower interest rate on the refinanced long-term debt that was underlying the Equity Units;
- The resolution of $2.3 million of general tax related matters in 2011; and
- A benefit of $1.6 million from the release of uncertain tax positions in 2012.
- A $2.2 million tax benefit from a valuation allowance reversal in 2011; and
- A $1.8 million after-tax loss on the sale of real estate during 2012.