|GREAT PLAINS ENERGY INCORPORATED|
|Consolidated Earnings and Earnings Per Share|
|Year Ended December 31|
|Earnings per Great|
|Earnings||Plains Energy Share|
|Less: Net loss attributable to noncontrolling interest||-||0.2||-||-|
|Net income attributable to Great Plains Energy||199.9||174.4||1.36||1.26|
|Earnings available for common shareholders||$||198.3||$||172.8||$||1.35||$||1.25|
- Approximately $0.19 from new retail rates in Missouri which became effective for Kansas City Power & Light Company (KCP&L) in May 2011 and for KCP&L Greater Missouri Operations Company (GMO) in June 2011;
- The results for 2011 included a $0.09 loss from the effect of coal conservation activities and other related expenses due to Missouri River flooding, a $0.05 loss for an organizational realignment and voluntary separation program, a $0.05 loss from an extended refueling outage at Wolf Creek and a $0.03 loss representing KCP&L and GMO’s combined share of the impact of disallowed construction costs for the Iatan 1 environmental retrofit and Iatan 2 projects and other costs as a result of rate case orders issued in 2011 by the Missouri Public Service Commission (MPSC); and
- An estimated impact of $0.03 from favorable weather.
- Approximately $0.09 due to lower weather-normalized demand;
- An estimated effect of $0.08 at Wolf Creek with $0.05 resulting from the unplanned outage during the first quarter of 2012, $0.02 of other operating and maintenance expense and $0.01 from an increase in amortization related to an extended refueling outage that began in late March 2011 and concluded in early July 2011;
- Approximately $0.07 due to dilution from the issuance of common stock due to the settlement of Great Plains Energy’s Equity Units in June 2012;
- Approximately a $0.06 decrease in other margin primarily driven by lower KCP&L Missouri wholesale sales margin along with increased fuel and transmission expense, partially offset by favorable purchased power expense at KCP&L in Missouri, where there is no fuel recovery mechanism; and
- An estimated additional $0.04 from a variety of other factors including increased expenses from non-regulated activities and increased interest expense.