First Solar achieved several milestones over the past year:
- Acquired Solar Chile and established subsidiaries in India, the Middle East, South Africa and Thailand.
- Set new world record for CdTe cell efficiency at 18.7%.
- Increased average module efficiency to 12.9% for the fourth quarter of 2012, up 0.7 percentage points from the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Reduced the average module manufacturing costs on its best lines to $0.64 per watt (excluding underutilization), down from $0.69 in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Surpassed 250 MW AC of grid-connected power at Agua Caliente, making it the world's largest operational solar power plant.
- Surpassed 7 GW DC of cumulative production, enough to provide clean electricity for approximately 3.5 million homes and displace 4.7 million metric tons of CO₂ annually.