5 Stocks Pushing The Energy Industry Higher

Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model

Two out of the three major indices are trading lower today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading down 57 points (-0.4%) at 13,942 as of Monday, Feb. 25, 2013, 12:05 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,301 issues advancing vs. 1,576 declining with 144 unchanged.

The Energy industry currently sits down 0.4% versus the S&P 500, which is down 0.3%. Top gainers within the industry include Occidental Petroleum Corporation ( OXY), up 1.0%, Ecopetrol S.A ( EC), up 0.9% and Total ( TOT), up 0.6%. On the negative front, top decliners within the industry include Tenaris ( TS), down 1.5%, Royal Dutch Shell ( RDS.B), down 0.9% and Anadarko Petroleum ( APC), down 0.8%.

TheStreet Ratings group would like to highlight 5 stocks pushing the industry higher today:

5. Cenovus Energy ( CVE) is one of the companies pushing the Energy industry higher today. As of noon trading, Cenovus Energy is up $0.36 (1.1%) to $32.47 on average volume Thus far, 468,945 shares of Cenovus Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 918,000 shares. The stock has ranged in price between $32.25-$32.63 after having opened the day at $32.25 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $32.11.

Cenovus Energy Inc., an integrated oil company, together with its subsidiaries, engages in the development, production, and marketing of bitumen, crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids (NGLs) in Canada with refining operations in the United States. Cenovus Energy has a market cap of $24.0 billion and is part of the basic materials sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 24.1, above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 5.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate Cenovus Energy a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.

TheStreet Ratings rates Cenovus Energy as a buy. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid financial position based on a variety of debt and liquidity measures that we have evaluated. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Get the full Cenovus Energy Ratings Report now.

It's Official: Action Alerts PLUS beats the S&P 500 with Dividends Reinvested! Cramer and Link were up 16.72% in 2012. Were you? See what they are trading for 14-days FREE

If you liked this article you might like

These Stocks Are Ready to Reverse Course

Exclusive: ConocoPhillips to Sell Large Mid-Continent Gas Portfolio

ConocoPhillips Is About to Get Smoking Hot

Strength of the Market; Peak Oil Price: Jim Cramer's View

Busting the Shorts : Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Thursday 3/30/17)