The Rovi study revealed opportunities to improve and enhance the entertainment experience with new mobile streaming features and functionality as well as greater content access. For example, appearing to highlight a market need for advanced adaptive streaming solutions and new compression standards such as High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), less than 20% of all mobile users rate the visual quality of their streaming video as excellent. Moreover, the majority note features such as quick loading and smooth playback as the most important when watching streaming video. In addition, one of the most desired features requested by consumers was the ability to pause video and then resume play later on the same or a different device.Finally, mobile device users indicated that video ads (played before, during or after a video) are by far the most effective ad format in helping them retain brand or product information and spurring them to take action. However, they are worried about costs related to streaming video. Approximately half of the respondents say that they limit the amount of video streamed on their mobile phones over cost concerns—and nearly all expressed a belief that they should enjoy free access to TV content on their mobile phones through their cable provider. Other survey highlights:
- 66% of UK tablet users spend an average of 30 minutes or more viewing streaming media in a single session, the most of any country surveyed. U.S. users rank second at 62%.
- Mobile phone users in Italy reported the shortest streaming media session times at 3-10 minutes on average.
- 93% of U.S. tablet users and 80% of U.S. mobile phone users believe that tablets are a good way to view movies/TV shows.
- French and Italian consumers appear the most dissatisfied with video quality, with approximately 10% rating quality as poor.
- About 80% of all tablet users consume most of their streaming video at home, while only about 15% consume the majority of their video while commuting to work.
- In comparison, only about 50% of all mobile phone users consume most of their streaming video at home, while approximately 35% consume the majority of their video while commuting to work, making mobile phones today's preferred commuting device.
CONTACT: For more information, contact: Chris Taylor Rovi Corporation 408-562-3077 Chris.D.Taylor@rovicorp.com