Ciena ® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that its 100G solution, architected with WaveLogic Coherent Optical Processors, has been deployed by Telefonica Vivo. This is the first active 100G network in Brazil, which connects native 100GbE channels to the DWDM system to provide unprecedented speeds for outbound international traffic. The network includes 100G routes that connect the cities of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Praia Grande, Brazil. Ciena’s industry-leading 100G coherent solution will add significant bandwidth, scalability and reliability to Telefonica Vivo’s network infrastructure. Key Facts:
- Telefonica is the largest mobile operator in Brazil with 76 million customers and is also the top performing wireless company based on the national telecommunications sector watchdog Anatel’s quality indicators. The company has 3.7 million fixed broadband customers and 610,700 pay TV access points in Brazil.
- With this regional and long-haul domestic network upgrade, Telefonica Vivo becomes the first network operator in Brazil to deploy 100G, allowing the operator to extract more capacity out of existing fiber and support the delivery of high-bandwidth services and applications.
- The upgraded network, spanning hundreds of kilometers, will provide 100G transport between the cities of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Praia Grande, Brazil over multiple routes.
- Telefonica Vivo and Ciena have a long-term relationship and have been working together for more than ten years.
- “Demand for capacity will continue to grow because of the increasing number of connections to public and private networks, as well as the business and consumer demand for applications such as video and remote storage. Addressing this challenge requires a network that is future-proof and that combines intelligence, scalability and high capacity - and that is where Ciena’s intelligent infrastructure comes into play. We are thrilled to support Telefonica Vivo in building the country’s first 100G network, which will allow Brazilians to enjoy advanced, high-speed applications and services.”- Fabio Medina, vice president and general manager, Central and Latin America, Ciena
- “Telefonica Vivo is the mobile broadband leader in Brazil, covering more than 3,100 cities with HSPA+ technology. Just as important as providing 3G coverage for all of these cities in a country as huge as Brazil, is the challenge of having a robust high capacity backbone. Because of this, the first DWDM 100G route deployment is aligned with our strategy of growing and quality assurance for our customers.”- Leonardo Capdeville, network planning and technology director, Telefonica Vivo
- Ciena is the pioneer and market leader of coherent optical technology with more than 20,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces shipped to over 100 customers across the globe, for a total deployment of more than 20 million coherent kilometers.
- A key aspect of Ciena’s OPn architecture and designed for network modernization, Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform converges comprehensive Ethernet, TDM, and WDM capabilities into one platform for cost-effective delivery of emerging and existing services—from the access edge to the backbone core. These systems also support directionless and colorless ROADM functionality, which combine with OTN/packet switching to maximize the bandwidth efficiency and flexibility of the overall network.
- Ciena's WaveLogic coherent optical processors enable operators to maximize the reach, capacity and flexibility of networks by enabling seamless upgrades to 40G/100G and beyond. Using innovative coherent receiver, high-speed analog to digital, and custom digital signal processing technology that integrates intelligence into the equipment, Ciena’s technology offers ease-of-deployment, cost efficiency and network investment protection.
- Product Overview: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Video: What is Coherent Optical Networking?
- Video: Ciena Intelligent Infrastructure Solutions
- Application Note: Enabling a Bigger and Smarter Network with Ciena’s WaveLogic 3
Brazil, where it has worked since 1998, is the world´s largest operation of Telefónica by number of customers and direct employees (about 100 thousand). The main companies are Telefonica Brasil (Telefonica Vivo), Atento (call center) and Terra (provider and Internet portal). The Grupo Telefonica is one of the largest communication conglomerates in the world with presence in 25 countries. The investments planned for Brazil in the period 2011-2014 totalize R $ 24.3 billion.About Ciena Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to delivering solutions in alignment with OP n, its approach for building open next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com. Note to Ciena Investors Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-K, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 21, 2012. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.