- More pepper spray owners own Mace brand pepper spray than all other brands combined (51% own Mace brand pepper spray)
- Almost eight out of ten users purchased the pepper spray for themselves.
- 71% of respondents said they purchased their pepper spray in the past year.
- 68% of female pepper spray owners said they bought it themselves; 32% said a spouse, family member or friend had purchased the pepper spray for them.
- 95% of male pepper spray owners said they bought it for themselves.
- 32% bought their pepper spray at a sporting goods store; 18% at a big box store; 15% at an outdoor products store; and 15% through an online retailer such as amazon.com or mace.com.
- 69% are satisfied with their pepper spray because it makes them feel safer or view the product as being effective.
- 48% of Generation Y (ages 18 – 31) pepper spray owners received it as a gift from a parent.
- 45% of Generation X (ages 32 – 47) pepper spray owners received it as a gift from a spouse.
- For 58% of Baby Boomers (ages 48 – 66), the pepper spray came from a friend or other family member.
One year after 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was gunned down near his Miami home by a neighborhood watch volunteer, millions of U.S. residents are embracing the non-lethal self-protection that Mace pepper spray provides.
A recent consumer survey found that 68% of female pepper spray owners said they bought it for themselves. Most pepper spray owners own Mace brand pepper spray than all other brands combined. (Photo: Business Wire)“None of us will ever really know what happened in Miami Gardens last year,” said John McCann, President and CEO of Mace Security International. “But we do know that a tragedy could have been averted if George Zimmerman had chosen to protect himself with Mace instead of a deadly weapon.” A recent online survey of pepper spray owners conducted by Balance Inc., a strategic design consultancy located in Cleveland, indicates that record numbers of U.S. adults now rely upon pepper spray for self-protection. The blind survey was conducted using a nationally representative sample of respondents provided by Harris Interactive, an independent, global survey firm. Commissioned by Mace Security International, the survey also revealed interesting purchasing trends among pepper spray carriers: