- Cigna CDHP customer base grew 26 percent in 2012
- Cigna Study: CDHP customers lowered their costs an average of 13 percent while improving their health profile
- CDHP customers are more engaged in making informed health care choices
- Lowered their health risks: Cigna CDHP customers lowered their risk of developing or worsening a chronic condition. According to the study, when employers fully transitioned to offering only a CDHP option, individuals improved their health risk profile by 12 percent in the first year compared to customers in a traditional plan.
- Reduced total medical costs: Cigna CDHP medical cost trend was 13 percent lower than traditional plans during the first year: costs were 20 percent lower for HSA customers and 11 percent lower for HRA participants. Cost reductions were achieved without employers shifting out-of-pocket health expenses to their employees. Notably 75 percent of HSA customers contribute more to their accounts than they spend.
- More engaged in health improvement: Cigna CDHP customers were twice as likely to complete a health risk assessment and CDHP customers with a chronic illness are up to 25 percent more likely to participate in a disease management program than those enrolled in a traditional plan.
- Were more likely to compare cost and quality: Cigna CDHP customers were 59% more likely to use the directory to access cost and procedure information to help them review potential medical costs.
- Were more savvy consumers of health care: Customers with Cigna Choice Fund plans and Cigna pharmacy benefits were more likely to choose generic medications compared to those in a traditional plan. In addition, CDHP customers used the emergency room at a six percent lower rate than individuals enrolled in HMO and PPO plans.
- Received higher levels of care: Cigna CDHP customers had consistent or higher compliance with over 300 evidenced-based medical best practices than their counterparts in traditional plans. Cigna CDHP customers also sought preventive care, such as annual office visits and mammograms, more frequently than customers enrolled in a traditional plan.
“While we just completed our first year under the new plan, we’ve seen many people taking steps to monitor and improve their health, including receiving age- and gender-appropriate preventive care screenings at rates above industry averages, increased visits to a primary care physician, good usage of Wellness Screenings where 14% of those screened learned about a health risk for the first time, and increased usage of generic medications,” Roehrig said. “We feel providing appropriate access to quality health care providers, information regarding the quality and cost of those various providers, and appropriate health and condition management coaching programs are important components to our success. Incentives and communications are used to encourage our employees to better understand their options and make decisions that are right for them and their families.”Cigna continues to improve its CDHP offering, including a new, free myCigna Mobile App for customers to help manage their health plan benefits to:
- find a doctor using Cigna’s award-winning physician directory,
- access ID cards in one convenient location,
- view and manage account balances and deductibles,
- look up medical, dental and pharmacy claims,
- research and compare drug prices at 60,000 pharmacies
The downloading and use of these Apps is subject to the terms and conditions of the Apps and the online stores from which they are downloaded. Standard mobile phone carrier and data usage charges apply.Actual myCigna mobile app features available may vary depending on your plan. The listing of a health care professional or facility in the mobile directories available through the myCigna mobile app does not guarantee that the services rendered by that professional or facility are covered under your specific medical plan. Check your official plan documents, or call the number listed on your ID card, for information about the services covered under your plan benefits.