2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. Thursday includes weekly initial jobless claims at 8:30 a.m. EST.
3. -- U.S. stocks on Wednesday closed mixed. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 36 points, or 0.3%, to close at 13,983. The S&P 500 rose about 1 point to 1,520. The index touched its highest level since November 2007 at an intraday high of more than 1,524. The Nasdaq gained 10 points, or 0.3%, to finish at 3,197.
4. -- The merger of American Airlines and US Airways ( LCC) will be formally announced Thursday, according to reports. The boards of American parent AMR ( AAMRQ.PK) and US Airways approved the deal to create the world's largest airline late Wednesday, according to people close to the situation, The Associated Press said.
5. -- Cisco ( CSCO - Get Report) beat Wall Street's second-quarter earnings and revenue estimates. For the third quarter, Cisco predicted revenue between $12.06 billion and $12.3 billion and earnings, excluding items, between 48 cents a share and 50 cents a share. Analysts are looking for sales of $12.22 billion and earnings of 49 cents a share.
6. -- Automaker General Motors ( GM - Get Report) is expected by analysts Thursday to report fourth-quarter earnings of 51 cents a share on revenue of $39.14 billion.
7. -- Whole Foods ( WFMI), the natural and organic grocery chain, said Wednesday that fiscal first-quarter profit rose 24% as revenue jumped almost 14%. But it narrowed its revenue forecast and said its earnings growth could slow.
8. -- Earnings are expected Thursday from PepsiCo ( PEP), CBS ( CBS) and Directv ( DTV).
9. -- Time Warner ( TWX) is in talks to divest most of its Time Inc. magazine group in a deal with Meredith ( MDP - Get Report), people familiar with the situation told The Wall Street Journal.
10. -- Brazilian regulators on Wednesday rejected Apple's ( AAPL - Get Report) request to register the iPhone name in that country, the Journal reported.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.