Dynavax Options Trade for Heplisav FDA Approval Decision

NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Dynavax ( DVAX) has an FDA approval decision date of Feb. 24 for its hepatitis B vaccine Heplisav. Last November, Dynavax shares were cut in half due to a mixed vote from an FDA advisory panel. I wrote about this panel and paired it with an interesting option trade.

Since then, Dynavax shares have climbed to $3, a 40% increase, yet still trade under last year's highs in the $5 range. If FDA approves Heplisav, I expect the shares to trade at least above $4. To trade the FDA approval from a bullish perspective, a potentially profitable options trade using is to do the following:

Buy 10 MAR 2.50 strike Calls at $1.00 = $1,000 Debit

This opening trade is fairly straight forward as we are simply buying in-the-money Calls. The total risk at this point is the amount paid for the Calls, or in the example, $1,000. I chose the Calls over buying the shares outright simply due to risk management. If the company receives a Complete Response Letter (i.e. the FDA does not approve Heplisav), I expect the shares to drop below $1.50. (Dynavax has about 75 cents per share in cash. Buying the shares could represent more risk as the downside of owning 1,000 shares at $3.00 could expose me to at least $500 in additional losses compared to the losses on the Calls, which is capped at the amount of the debit, or $1,000.

This trade includes a lot of optionality, or ways to adjust the original position due to changes in the share price. If the shares run up into Feb. 24 decision date, I maintain the option to sell the Calls at a profit. An alternative, risk-reducing trade that maintains some upside under this scenario would be to do the following:

Assume a pre-FDA decision run up in Dynavax to $3.75 per share -- not overly aggressive as the shares recently traded as high as $3.50.

(Still holding) 10 MAR 2.50 Calls at $1.00 = $1,000
Sell 20 MAR 5 strike Calls at $0.50 = $(1,000)
Buy 10 MAR 6 strike Calls at $0.30 = $300
(Adjusted P&L) = $300 Debit

Here's the Risk P&L Diagram for this trade:

With this adjustment, total risk in the position is decreased from $1,000 to $300. Despite this reduction in risk, we still maintain upside in the position. Maximum profit is $2,200 if the shares trade to $5 by expiration. If they trade at any point above $6, maximum profit is $1,200. If DVAX receives a Conplete Response Letter and the shares crash to below $1.50, we only lose $300.

Pelz has no position in Dynavax.

To learn more about using options to trade biotech catalysts, check out Tony Pelz's book, The Biotech Trader Handbook.
Tony Pelz was a trader on a major European bank's proprietary trading desk, responsible for a portfolio with limits of more than $200 million. Prior to proprietary trading, Pelz worked with several global investment banks in roles ranging from corporate finance, M&A to credit and business development. He is author of The Biotech Trader Handbook, 2nd Edition, co-founder of the small-cap biotech research and trading site Chimera Research Group and operator of PelzOptions.com. Pelz currently resides in Denver, Colorado where he trades for his own account.

If you liked this article you might like

'Date' These Potential Biotech Winners

'Date' These Potential Biotech Winners

Small-Cap Turnaround Stories

Resist All the Dow 22K Hoopla: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Wednesday 8/2/17)

Chevron, Universal Display, Dynavax Technologies, Schlumberger: 'Mad Money' Lightning Round