BIG-IP PEM has been tested with third-party Policy and Charging Rules Function (PCRF) vendors and is compliant with the latest 3GPP standards for a Policy and Charging Enforcement Function (PCEF).BIG-IP PEM helps customers:
- Enable new business models for increased revenue – Through its comprehensive analytics and context-aware capabilities, BIG-IP PEM gives service providers deep visibility into network conditions and subscriber behavior. With this intelligence, service providers have greater network control and are better equipped to develop innovative subscriber plans and new service offerings that can be rolled out quickly.
- Improve efficiency of value-added services – To maintain their competitive edge, service providers must continually introduce new value-added services (VAS) such as video optimization, parental controls, and web caching, which drive up costs and increase network complexity. BIG-IP PEM helps service providers overcome these challenges. When placed in front of VAS servers, BIG-IP PEM not only detects subscriber traffic in the network, it also intelligently routes the relevant traffic to the appropriate VAS platforms, thereby more efficiently using these resources.
- Virtualize core network elements – BIG-IP PEM enables service providers to implement Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) by coordinating with virtual orchestration systems to provision and deprovision VAS servers based on real-time subscriber and network traffic conditions. As a result, service providers can respond effectively to extreme spikes and lulls in traffic.
- Realize carrier-grade scalability and performance – BIG-IP PEM is available on VIPRION ®, F5’s high-performance, chassis-based hardware platform. When run on F5’s latest VIPRION C4800 offering, BIG-IP PEM enables service providers to achieve up to 320 gigabits per second of layer 7 throughput, support up to 72 million concurrent connections, and serve as many as 96 million subscribers on a single device.
- Reduce costs and network complexity – Because BIG-IP PEM enables the delivery of multiple core services based on unified platform architecture, service providers can eliminate many point solutions, simplifying the network and driving down costs. Service providers can further reduce costs using the BIG-IP system because it enables them to smoothly transition their 2G and 3G networks to LTE and IPv6 networks.In addition, when BIG-IP PEM runs on VIPRION hardware, core services can be provisioned on any blade, so service providers gain flexibility and avoid the necessity and added expense of stocking service-specific blades.
AvailabilityBIG-IP Policy Enforcement Manager (PEM), BIG-IP Carrier-Grade NAT, and BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager are generally available now. Please contact a local F5 office for availability in specific countries. Additional Resources
- BIG-IP Policy Enforcement Manager – Datasheet
- BIG-IP PEM – Solution Profile
- BIG-IP PEM – SlideShare Presentation
- BIG-IP PEM: NFV – Demo
- BIG-IP PEM and Skyfire Video Optimization – Demo
- Policy Enforcement Solution Definition Workshop – Consulting Services Page
- Intelligent Traffic Management – White Paper
- Managing the Migration to IPv6 Throughout the Service Provider Network – White Paper
This press release may contain forward-looking statements relating to future events or future financial performance that involve risks and uncertainties. Such statements can be identified by terminology such as "may," "will," "should," "expects," "plans," "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "predicts," "potential," or "continue," or the negative of such terms or comparable terms. These statements are only predictions and actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in these statements based upon a number of factors including those identified in the company's filings with the SEC.