Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI), a leader in the development of Public Safety Long Term Evolution (LTE) networks, devices, applications and services, today announced it is the first Public Safety LTE vendor to successfully complete all testing activities associated with Phase 3: Part One, with the Public Safety Communications Research Program (PSCR) located at the Department of Commerce, Boulder Laboratories in Colorado. The testing by Motorola and Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC), successfully demonstrated the interoperability of the Radio Access Network (RAN) and Evolved Packet Core (EPC) with three major network vendors. The successful completion of the Phase 3: Part One test is a key milestone toward Motorola becoming an authorized supplier to FirstNet, the nationwide public safety broadband network, and shows Motorola’s continued support of the work of the PSCR team. The tests focused on demonstrating interoperability with other suppliers, a key component of building a nationwide network allowing public safety personnel to collaborate regardless of agency, jurisdiction or equipment manufacturer. The tests also demonstrated Motorola’s conformance to and support for public safety standards. Motorola previously announced the first commercial release of standards-based LTE technology to public safety, with shipments beginning on Nov. 11, 2011. Combined with a complete suite of Public Safety LTE services that span design and planning, integration, support and management of the network, devices and applications, Motorola is helping to accelerate emerging broadband multimedia capabilities in public safety around the world. KEY FACTS
- Phase 3: Part One testing was performed in the 700 MHz Band 14 spectrum which supports broadband for public safety.
- Motorola was able to support interoperability at both S1-Mobility Management Entity (MME) and S1-User (U) interfaces utilizing its RAN and EPC with the three network vendors. The interconnectivity of both the RAN and EPC demonstrated Motorola’s solution to support open network architecture under the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) standards.
- Motorola also successfully completed network drive testing, demonstrating the performance of a single LTE network in an operational environment. Motorola successfully tested intra-LTE handoffs, network coverage, network load and stress, and application messaging/protocol performance.
- Motorola’s UM1000 LTE USB Modem was selected by the PSCR test team to be the device of choice for all interoperability over-the-air and drive testing.
- Motorola and Ericsson in September 2010 entered an alliance to provide an LTE-based solution for Next Generation Public Safety broadband communications. Ericsson is providing its industry-leading LTE access equipment as well as parts of its packet core and related services to deliver broadband multimedia services to public safety.
- Ericsson, the world leader in telecommunications technology and services, is leading the way in the rollout of LTE and has been driving open standards. As the world’s leader in mobile broadband, including LTE, Ericsson provides the benefit of global scale economies and proven performance across a large, globally deployed LTE base.
Bo-Erik Dahlstrom, head of National Security and Public Safety, Ericsson Inc.“Completing the PSCR Phase 3 testing successfully highlights Ericsson’s commitment to and the benefit of the standards-based architecture of Public Safety LTE technology, while providing leading edge broadband capabilities to FirstNet and Public Safety Users. With our partner, Motorola, it is gratifying to support these first steps toward a nationwide, interoperable network under FirstNet’s charter.” SUPPORTING RESOURCES Website: Next Generation Public Safety Portal White Paper: Real-World LTE Performance for Public Safety Twitter: @MotPublicSafety Facebook: Motorola Public Safety About Motorola Solutions Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com. For ongoing news, please visit our media center or subscribe to our news feed. MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2013 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.