Our amended dividend reinvestment plan ("DRIP") provides for reinvestment of dividends, unless a stockholder elects to receive cash. As a result, if our Board of Directors declares a cash dividend, our stockholders who have not "opted out" of our DRIP will have their cash dividends automatically reinvested in additional shares of our common stock, rather than receiving cash dividends. We provide a 5% discount on newly-issued shares purchased through the DRIP (provided that shares will not be issued at less than net asset value per share). If you are a stockholder and your shares of our common stock are held through a brokerage firm or other financial intermediary and you wish to participate in the DRIP, please contact your broker or other financial intermediary.Portfolio Asset Quality We utilize the following investment ranking system for our investment portfolio:
- Investment Ranking 1 is used for investments that are performing above expectations and/or a capital gain is expected.
- Investment Ranking 2 is used for investments that are performing substantially within our expectations, and whose risks remain neutral or favorable compared to the potential risk at the time of the original investment. All new investments are initially ranked 2.
- Investment Ranking 3 is used for investments that are performing below our expectations and that require closer monitoring, but where we expect no loss of investment return (interest and/or dividends) or principal. Companies with a ranking of 3 may be out of compliance with financial covenants.
- Investment Ranking 4 is used for investments that are performing below our expectations and for which risk has increased materially since the original investment. We expect some loss of investment return, but no loss of principal.
- Investment Ranking 5 is used for investments that are performing substantially below our expectations and whose risks have increased substantially since the original investment. Investments with a ranking of 5 are those for which some loss of principal is expected.
|December 31, 2012||September 30, 2012|
|Investment Ranking||Fair Value (thousands)||% of Portfolio||Leverage Ratio||Fair Value (thousands)||% of Portfolio||Leverage Ratio|
|1||$ 196,930||12.46%||2.72||$ 68,685||5.33%||2.72|
|Total||$ 1,580,448||100.00%||4.05||$ 1,288,108||100.00%||3.89|
|(1) Due to operating performance, this ratio is not measurable.|