CHARLOTTE, Mich., Feb. 5, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Spartan Motors, Inc. (Nasdaq:SPAR) today announced that Diana Devlin, Vice President, Information Services and Technology (IST), Spartan Motors was selected by The Manufacturing Institute, the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, University of Phoenix, and Deloitte for a Women in Manufacturing STEP (Science, Technology, Engineering and Production) Award. The ceremony begins at 12:00 noon today at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center in Washington, D.C. "The distinction which Diana has received from The Manufacturing Institute and the Society of Manufacturing Engineers is not a surprise as she is a standout talent. Her contributions at Spartan Motors are only exceeded by the leadership she consistently demonstrates while transforming IT into a competitive differentiator at our company," said Joseph Nowicki, Chief Financial Officer, Spartan Motors. "The improvements she has effected at Spartan Motors have enabled productivity and other gains in all departments at the company." The STEP Awards are part of the larger STEP Ahead initiative launched to examine and promote the role of women in the manufacturing industry through recognition, research, and best practices for attracting, advancing, and retaining strong female talent. This program is part of a broader STEP initiative which is a call for action to:
- Honor women who have demonstrated excellence and leadership in their manufacturing careers;
- Celebrate exciting careers in manufacturing to help change negative perceptions of the industry;
- Help close the skills gap by developing a more diverse workforce and attracting, retaining and advancing female talent in the manufacturing industry;
- Continue to ensure new opportunities for women in the manufacturing industry;
- Empower today's current manufacturing leaders to help inspire the next-generation of leadership and talent.