|Summary Financial Results||Three Months Ended||Twelve Months Ended|
|(In millions, except per share data)||December 31||December 31|
|Per Diluted Share of Common Stock||$||0.22||$||0.54||$||1.49||$||1.42|
|Adjusted Operating Income||$||32.9||$||51.1||$||185.3||$||190.2|
|Per Diluted Share of Common Stock||$||0.24||$||0.37||$||1.34||$||1.38|
|Return on Equity||6.1||%||7.2||%|
|Operating Return on Average Equity||8.5||%||9.5||%|
- Investment income of $10.8 million, related to investment prepayments (primarily bond make-whole payments in the Deferred Annuities segment), offset by related increased amortization of $2.5 million.
- Operating expense charges of $4.6 million, including expenses related to the exploration of an acquisition opportunity that did not come to fruition.
- Reserve increase and higher claims, resulting in a $3.8 million decline in Benefits earnings related to the limited benefit medical business.
- Reserve increases of $2.1 million, resulting in a charge against earnings of $1.1 million in Income Annuities, and a charge of $1.0 million in the Individual Life segment.
- A deferred tax asset adjustment, resulting in a $4.7 million increase in income tax expense.