ADVISORY, Jan. 31, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- What: In celebration of the 10 th National Wear Red Day and the start of American Heart Month the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women ® movement will ring the NASDAQ Opening Bell on Friday, February 1st. Star Jones, the American Heart Association's national volunteer, and New York City American Heart Association Board President, Dr. Mary Ann McLaughlin, will ring the Opening Bell to raise awareness for the No. 1 killer of women – heart disease. Heart Disease Statistics
- Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women and is more deadly than all forms of cancer combined.
- An estimated 43 million women in the U.S. are affected by heart disease.
- Ninety percent of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
- Since 1984, more women than men have died each year from heart disease and the gap between men and women's survival continues to widen.
- While one in 31 American women dies from breast cancer each year, heart disease causes one in three deaths each year.