HOUSTON, Jan. 31, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sysco Corporation (NYSE:SYY) today launched its sixth annual and most-comprehensive-to-date sustainability report, which focuses on the company's economic, environmental and social responsibility performance during Fiscal Year 2012 (FY12). The report, titled "Good Things Are Our Greatest Responsibility," outlines Sysco's strategic approach to sustainability, including its guiding principles and three focus areas of Food, Operations and Community. Performance highlights from the 2012 report include:
- Since 2006, overall energy usage in company warehouses decreased by 19 percent, despite warehouse volumes increasing 18 percent.
- Continued fleet improvements by adding 55 low-emission liquid natural gas trucks to the company fleet in FY12, bringing the total to 165; and since 2010, purchased more than 2,300 new trucks with low-emission engines.
- Improved load fill rate of trucks carrying product to Sysco by 180 pounds per truck in FY12, resulting in 1,400 fewer trucks on the road, compared with the prior year.
- Suppliers in Sysco's Integrated Pest Management Program reported conserving more than 700 million gallons of water in the 2011 growing season.
- Reduced recordable injuries at U.S. Sysco locations by 26 percent between FY08–FY12.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Charley Wilson Vice President, Corporate Communications 281-584-2423 Investors Contact: Neil Russell Vice President, Investor Relations 281-584-1308