Over the next five years, Kohl’s Building Blocks Program will continue the integrated model of specialized professional support combined with quality resources and early learning materials that specifically support the complex needs of young children who have significant behavioral disorders, have been victims of abuse or neglect or have a significant disability limiting development, including cerebral palsy, spina bifida, birth abnormalities or traumatic injuries.The Kohl’s Building Blocks Program consists of three main components:
- Child Development Services provided by qualified Child Development Specialists who have specialized expertise working with children with complex needs.
- The Kohl’s Child Development Library where children and families can “check out” materials and resources to enhance health and development, including specialized therapy equipment and toys designed to stimulate development at home, between regular therapy sessions.
- The Kohl’s Development Toolbox full of learning tools and resources that children and families can keep to take home to stimulate and encourage continuous development.
- The addition of a Bilingual Child Development Specialist position to focus on the needs of the Hispanic/Latino community to promote culturally sensitive, high-level services to those families that only communicate in Spanish.
- The expansion of the Building Blocks Community Outreach and Online Platform which will increase involvement of educators, parents, community leaders and children in the lives of those with special needs in an effort to serve more children and create greater impact by bringing effective development programs and health services to more communities regionally and, potentially, nationally through their publications and online resources.