In 2009, EMC first introduced the VMAX Family and the revolutionary Virtual Matrix Architecture ™—purpose-built storage for the virtual data center that delivers unprecedented levels of scalability, efficiency, data integrity, availability and performance. We're building upon that foundation with today's enhancements to the VMAX 10K so that customers benefit from ultra-fast application performance and faster CPUs. The VMAX 10K also offers new features previously only available on the VMAX 20K and VMAX 40K.Technology Highlights: VMAX 10K-specific Enhancements
- Increased performance for critical applications in virtualized environments—achieving up to 100% faster performance—with support for faster CPUs with 50% more cores. This enables applications like Oracle OLTP in VMware environments to run up to 90% faster.
- Enhanced protection against data theft and improved compliance in regulated industries (e.g. government and healthcare) with the Data At Rest Encryption (D@RE) feature, which encrypts all data on all drive types without performance penalty. ( Already offered on the VMAX 20K and VMAX 40K).
- Maximizes existing storage investments with an additional tier of storage—including non-EMC storage arrays—with new support for Federated Tiered Storage feature capability—achieves up-to a 15% TCO savings. ( Already offered on the VMAX 20K and VMAX 40K).
- More efficiency with new support for denser 2.5" drives, enabling 2X more usable drives per tile, which also reduces weight and power consumption on both the VMAX 10K and VMAX 40K by 1/3 compared to 3.5" drives.
- Better management and performance with new Host I/O Limits feature for the VMAX Family, making performance more predictable and easier to manage in consolidation and multi-tenancy environments. Now customers can choose how many IOPS or how much bandwidth to give each application or user. This capability is critical in cloud environments, or when consolidating many critical applications.
- Leading performance for VMware vSphere ® 5 environments breaking the 2 million IOPS barrier (with VMAX 40K).
- Simplified management with EMC Unisphere for the VMAX Family now includes enhanced integration with the VMware platform, VFCache, Windows 2012, and the ability to manage all major features of VMAX.
- More efficiency with FAST VP through support for an industry-leading 4 tiers and cold data compression, with up to a 2:1 capacity savings on inactive data. In addition, even more cost and floor space savings can be achieved using 3TB drives and mixed 2.5"/3.5" DAEs with FAST VP.