- 69 percent wish they could focus all of their attention on their actual business and leave the daily tasks to someone else
- 83 percent of small business owners are solely responsible for organizing their companies
- While 70 percent use technology to keep them organized, 62 percent admit they don’t necessarily use technology to decrease clutter
- Almost 20 percent don’t shred confidential material- the leading reason being it’s just easier to throw materials away
- Nearly half of respondents will upgrade their operating systems this year to help their businesses grow for the future
- 66 percent of owners admit it is challenging to keep up with the constant technology changes
- Two thirds of respondents also note that these technological advances have caused them to change how they operate their business on a daily basis
About the SurveyFor the 7 th year, Staples conducted an Internet survey among small-business owners and senior executives. The survey was developed by Staples and conducted by Decision Analyst, Inc. in Arlington, TX. Decision Analyst surveyed by Internet a nationally representative random sample of 500 owners and executives of American businesses having no more than 20 employees. All respondents were members of American Consumer Opinion® online, Decision Analyst’s proprietary Internet-based consumer-opinion panel with over 7,500,000 members globally. Interviews were conducted from November 13 to November 19, 2012. Such a sample has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.3 percent at the 95 percent confidence level. For more information about American Consumer Opinion® online, please visit www.acop.com. About Staples Staples is the world’s largest office products company and second largest internet retailer. The company provides products, services and expertise in office supplies, copy & print, technology, facilities and breakroom and furniture. Staples invented the office superstore concept in 1986 and now has annual sales of $25 billion, ranking second in the world in eCommerce sales. With 88,000 associates worldwide, Staples operates in 26 countries throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia, making it easy for businesses of all sizes, and consumers. The company is headquartered outside Boston. More information about Staples (Nasdaq: SPLS) is available at www.staples.com/media. Follow Staples on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/staples and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/staples.