Ambarella, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMBA), a leading developer of low-power, HD video compression and image processing semiconductors, today introduced the A9 camera System on Chip (SoC) with support for the new 4K Ultra HD video standard. The A9 enables development of the next generation of mirrorless, sports, and digital still cameras (DSCs) with leading-edge video features and exceptional still image quality. In addition to 4K Ultra HD video resolution at 30 frames per second, the A9 supports high frame-rate video for capturing fast-action sports with 1080p video at 120 frames per second or 720p video at 240 frames per second. The A9 includes dual core ARM® Cortex™-A9 CPUs providing the performance required for advanced applications including wireless connectivity to smartphones for video streaming or image sharing. Fabricated in 32nm CMOS technology, the A9 offers very low power consumption, enabling 4K resolution video cameras with small form factors and extended battery life. “The A9 unleashes 4K Ultra HD video into the consumer camera marketplace,” said Fermi Wang, president & CEO of Ambarella. “Using A9, our customers can create camera products with a unique combination of advanced fast-action video features, exceptional still image quality, and full wireless connectivity.” The A9’s advanced video features include video time-lapse modes, capture of high-resolution still images during video recording, Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS), and burst capture of up to sixty 12-megapixel still images per second. Ultra-wide angle and small form factor lenses are supported with full lens distortion correction. The A9’s support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) video and still processing enables excellent results even in challenging lighting conditions and high-contrast scenes. A9 Feature Summary
- 4K Ultra HD video recording at 30 frames per second for incredible detail.
- High definition video recording with 240 frames per second at 720p resolution.
- Burst mode support for still image capture of over 700 Megapixels per second.
- Multi-exposure High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging support, including local tone mapping, preserves image details in high contrast scenes.
- Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) with rolling shutter correction.
- 3D Motion-Compensated Temporal Filtering (MCTF) with de-ghosting for reduced artifacts and excellent low light performance.
- Support for applications including wireless preview, playback, and upload of stills and videos to a smartphone or directly to the Internet over WiFi™.
- A rich set of interfaces including DDR3L, USB 2.0 host, HDMI®, and SDXC SD™ card.