1. EQUUS TOTAL RETURN INC ( EQS): The Fund’s investment objective is to maximize the total return to the Company’s stockholders in the form of current investment income and long-term capital gains by investing in the debt and equity securities of small and middle market capitalization companies that are generally not publicly traded at the time of its investment. Trading at a 26% discount to net asset value 2. BOULDER GROWTH & INCOME FUND ( BIF): The Fund seeks to produce both long-term capital appreciation through investment in common stocks and high current income consistent with preservation of capital through investments in income producing securities. The Fund is concentrated in real estate related companies (RERCs), which means it must invest more than 25% of its total assets in REITs and other companies in the real estate industry. Trading at a 24% discount to net asset value 3. BOULDER TOTAL RETURN FUND ( BTF): The Fund seeks to produce both income and long-term capital appreciation by investing in a portfolio of equity and debt securities. The Fund invests primarily in common stocks, including dividend paying common stocks, such as those issued by utilities, real estate investment trusts (REITs) and regulated investment companies (RICs). Trading at a 21% discount to net asset value
4. DENALI FUND/THE ( DNY): The Fund seeks to produce income and long-term capital appreciation by investing in a portfolio of equity and fixed income securities. The Fund intends to focus on securities issued by companies in the financial services industry, including, but not be limited to, savings and banking institutions, mortgage banking institutions, real estate investment trusts (REITs), consumer finance companies, credit collection and related service companies, insurance companies, securities and commodity brokerage companies. Trading at a 19% discount to net asset value
5. GDL FUND/THE ( GDL): The Fund will invest primarily in merger arbitrage transactions, and to a lesser extent, in corporate reorganizations involving stubs, spin-offs and liquidations. It will invest at least 80% of its assets in securities or hedging arrangements relating to companies involved in corporate transactions or reorganizations. Trading at a 15% discount to net asset value 6. ADAMS EXPRESS COMPANY ( ADX): An internally-managed closed-end fund. In order to conduct the Company’s business, the Company, through its transfer agent, American Stock Transfer & Trust Company, collects and maintains certain non-public personal information about its stockholders of record with respect to their transactions in shares of its securities. The Company’s investments include common stocks and short-term investments. Trading at a 15% discount to net asset value
7. THAI FUND INC ( TTF): The Fund’s investment objective is long-term capital appreciation through investment primarily in equity securities of companies organized under the laws of the Kingdom of Thailand. The Fund makes its investments in Thailand through the Thai Investment Plan (the Plan). The Fund is the sole unit holder of the Plan. Trading at a 15% discount to net asset value 8. SWISS HELVETIA FUND ( SWZ): The investment objective of the Fund is to seek long-term growth of capital through investment in equity and equity-linked securities of Swiss companies. The Fund may also acquire and hold equity and equity-linked securities of non-Swiss companies in limited instances. It invests in various sectors. Trading at a 15% discount to net asset value 9. TRI-CONTINENTAL CORP ( TY): The Fund’s invests primarily for the longer term, and its investment objective is to produce future growth of both capital and income, while providing reasonable current income. The Fund may invest up to 25% of its net assets in foreign investments. Trading at a 15% discount to net asset value
10. EATON VANCE TAX-MANAGED DIVE ( ETY): The Fund’s primary investment objective is to provide current income and gains, with a secondary objective of capital appreciation. The Company invests in sectors, such as health care, information technology, financials, consumer staples, energy, industrials and materials. Trading at a 14% discount to net asset value Written by SiHien Goh. Did you find this list useful as a starting point for your analysis? Do you have a list requests? Leave your comments below and we’ll do our best to deliver.