- The ability to buy products in-store but have them shipped to home for free (79%)
- Free Wi-Fi (63%)
- Interactive displays or kiosks that provide additional information or recommendations about a product (57%)
- Exclusive in-store mobile offers (56%).
- To view store circulars/flyers on their phone (67%),
- In-store navigation smartphone apps (59%), and
- The option for mobile payment or to check out by scanning their mobile phone (59%).
The American tradition of holiday shopping is alive and well, but Americans are using brick and mortar locations in different ways. A majority of digital users (51%) report “showrooming,” that is using retail stores to browse products, all the while planning to buy a product later online.Just this holiday season:
- One third (33%) of digital users say they have first gone into a store just to look at an item, with the idea of buying it later online.
- Four in 10 Americans, up from 33% last year, say they purchased a product in a physical retail store after researching the product online.
- 27% say they purchased a product online after shopping for a similar item in a physical store.
To aid in their navigation, savvy smartphone owners report putting digital devices to use at a higher rate this year across a wide variety of shopping behaviors. The biggest increases in use from the 2011 post-Thanksgiving holiday season include smartphone users reporting digital device use in the following ways:
- Researched and browsed for products (82%, up from 67% in 2011)
- Bought something (74%, up from 55%)
- Used an email offer from a retailer (62%, up from 45%)
- Used a consumer rating site to help them decide to buy a product (56%, up from 40%)
- Used a mobile coupon (33%, up from 18%)
- 35% used their GPS/location feature on their phone to help with holiday shopping (vs 31% in 2011)
- 27% used a QR code to find more information about a product (vs 19% in 2011)
- 9% used a Black Friday or Cyber Monday mobile app
- 7% have purchased something on their tablet
Note to journalists: survey data available upon request. Email: David LaBar at email@example.com.How the poll was conducted The third annual SapientNitro Holiday Shopping Poll was conducted December 14 - 16, 2012, by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Corporate Communications – a division of GfK Custom Research North America on behalf of SapientNitro, named a leading digital marketing agency and provider of commerce services by analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester Research. This telephone poll is based on a nationally representative probability sample of 1,007 general population adults age 18 or older reached on landline telephones. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 3.0 percentage points at the 95% confidence level, for results based on the entire sample of adults. The margin of sampling error is higher and varies for results based on sub-samples. About GfK Roper Public Affairs & Corporate Communications GfK Roper Public Affairs & Corporate Communications, a division of GfK Custom Research North America. Headquartered in New York, GfK Custom Research North America is a part of The GfK Group, one of the world’s largest research companies, with more than 11,000 experts working to discover new insights about the way people live, think and shop, in over 100 markets, every day. With home offices in Nuremberg, Germany, The GfK Group is the No. 4 market research organization worldwide. Its activities cover two main core business divisions: Consumer Choices and Consumer Experiences. About SapientNitro SapientNitro SM, part of Sapient®, is an integrated marketing and technology services firm. We create and engineer highly relevant experiences that accelerate business growth and fuel brand advocacy for our clients. By combining multi-channel marketing, multi-channel commerce, and the technology that binds them, we influence customer behavior across the spectrum of content, communication and commerce channels, resulting in deeper, more meaningful relationships between customers and brands. SapientNitro services global leaders such as Citi, The Coca-Cola Company, Foot Locker, Lufthasna, Target, and Vodafone through our operations in North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. For more information, visit www.sapientnitro.com or follow us on Twitter @sapientnitro.