- Sixty-five percent of respondents reported using manual disaster recovery processes; however, 83 percent reported that they believe automated disaster recovery and data replication technologies will be more widely used in the next 18 months.
- Seventy-two percent of overall IT leaders stated that their disaster recovery plans are only tested an average of once a year, with 82 percent of large enterprises completing disaster recovery testing one or more times yearly as compared to 75 percent of medium enterprises and 63 percent of small businesses.
- Forty-two percent of respondents said their organizations experience at least one data outage per year, with an average of 34 instances across enterprises of all sizes; of these companies, the majority of respondents stated that downtime in excess of four hours for any outage is unacceptable.
- Fifty-three percent of organizations responded that an outage of more than four hours is unacceptable, with the most common consequence being loss of productivity as reported by 67 percent, followed by 27 percent reporting harm to reputation, financial loss and loss of irreplaceable data.
FalconStor’s RecoverTrac ™ automated disaster recovery solution was chosen as the SearchServerVirtualization “Best of VMworld 2012” award gold winner in the Business Continuity and Data Protection category for its ability to perform service-oriented recovery in mixed physical/virtual environments and for enabling continuous data protection. By automating the complex recovery process, RecoverTrac technology eliminates the costly, time-consuming task of manually bringing IT services back on line and provides IT managers with the ability to resume services quickly.Study demographics The online poll conducted by IDG Research collected information from 189 IT leaders across all market segments that were using or planning to use disaster recovery and data protection technologies. Thirty-two percent of these individuals worked at firms with more than 5,000 employees; 23 percent of these individuals had between 1,001 and 5,000 employees; 37 percent of these individuals had between 101 and 1,000 employees; and eight percent had between 50 and 100 employees at the time of the survey. Additional resources:
- InfoWorld QuickPulse disaster recovery report and survey data
- Disaster recovery automation white paper