- You must register anew each quarter in order to be eligible.
- You only stand to earn the bonus 5 percent (as opposed to your standard earning rate) on an amount that's capped by your card issuer. The caps quoted below are correct at the time of writing, but companies may reserve the right to amend them, and you should check their websites before relying on information provided here.
Chase cash back credit cards and bonus categoriesChase currently caps the amount you can spend in bonus categories at $1,500 in any one quarter. Anything over that -- along with purchases outside the categories -- attracts a more modest 1 percent. During the 2012 holiday season (Oct.1 - Dec. 31), the categories are:
- Airline tickets purchased directly from the airline.
- Hotel accommodation purchased directly from the hotel.
- Purchases made in Best Buy and Kohl's.
- January - March: gas stations, drug stores and Starbucks
- April - June: restaurants and movie theaters
- July - September: gas stations, theme parks and Kohl's
- October - December: Amazon.com and select department stores