2012 RRSP FAST FACTS
- More than half (55 per cent) of Canadians have an RRSP, in line with 54 per cent in 2009 and down from 60 per cent in 2011.
- Among those who plan to make a one-time contribution to their RRSPs, 27 per cent already did so in January/ February 2012; another one-in-four (25 per cent) plan to do so in February 2013.
- The average planned RRSP contribution for the 2012 tax year is $4,025 — its lowest level in four years.
- Among Canadians who have an RRSP, 73 per cent plan to contribute at least as much as what they contributed for 2011; almost half (46 per cent) of those aged 18-34 say they will contribute more for 2012.
- Only one-in-three RRSP investors (32 per cent) make regular contributions through a plan.
- Mutual funds remain the top planned RRSP investment choice (46 per cent) for the 2012 tax year, followed by Guaranteed Investment Certificates (24 per cent) and savings accounts (22 per cent).