A unique designThe new TELUS Tier III design-certified centre is the first TELUS Internet data centre built to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold standards. Its 1.15 Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) rating puts TELUS at the forefront of the industry. In addition, the new facility was constructed with a unique modular design, allowing TELUS to rapidly increase the space and power capacity for technical equipment and to tailor its service offerings based on the latest technology. Below are some key features of the TELUS Intelligent Internet Data Centre:
- The TELUS Intelligent Internet data centre is connected to the company's national IP network and is interconnected with major data centres across the country, representing the most advanced and locally diversified IT infrastructure in Canada.
- TELUS chose to build its data centre in Rimouski for its appropriate weather climate allowing more efficient cooling. This enables natural cooling nearly every day of the year. In fact, TELUS anticipates that the Rimouski Centre will require only 40 hours per year of cooling via mechanical systems.
- The Intelligent Internet Data Centre incorporates innovative, non-traditional solutions, such as a closed-loop cooling system that provides unparalleled operating efficiency. The first of its kind in the world, this system is 180 times more efficient than that of a traditional cooling plant.
- The Rimouski location chosen by TELUS is also highly secure and an excellent option for customers seeking a core site or disaster recovery site, as it is more than 250 kilometres from major urban centres.
- The data centre relies on cutting edge flywheel technology for backup in case of a power failure. Should a power disruption occur at the centre, the flywheels continue to turn due to the force of inertia. This drives the alternators to generate power until the high efficiency generators start during any power disruption, thus minimizing the use of batteries.
- By harnessing the full power of virtualization and the Cloud, TELUS is maximizing the use of its IT infrastructure and thereby reducing its carbon footprint.