GE’s first two Industrial Internet Quests announced today are:Flight Quest: www.gequest.com/flight
- The International Air Transport Association (IATA) and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) estimate that on any given flight there is 18-22% inefficiency – from flight delays, to use of fuel, to flight paths. The Flight Quest challenges data scientists to help create an algorithm for a flight management system that reduces flight delays to save airlines money and ensure travelers arrive safely and on-time.
- Participants in the Flight Quest will receive a two-month data set of flight information of the National Airspace System. The information will include: flight number, origin, destination, take-off time, arrival time, latitude and longitude at frequent interim waypoints along the journey and weather and wind data.
- The Flight Quest will take place over two phases. In the first phase, participants will be asked to create a predictive model that increases aviation efficiency.
- The winning predictive algorithm from the first phase will then be used to create a simulation in the second phase of the Quest with the ultimate goal being the creation by GE of an onboard flight management application.
- Together, the winners from both phases will receive a total prize pool of $500,000 from GE.
- Many reports estimate there is anywhere from $750 billion to $1.2 trillion wasted annually in healthcare inefficiencies. The Hospital Quest challenges the developer community to create the ultimate patient experience in a hospital setting by designing applications for use by patients to take the hassle out of the process involved in hospital stays and advance operations management to free up caregivers to spend less time on inefficient processes and activities and more time with patients.
- Submissions will be evaluated by a panel of judges from GE, Ochsner Health System and Kaggle. The winners will receive a total prize pool of $100,000 from GE.
About GEGE (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and helping to cure the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com.