NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Consider some numbers:
- Microsoft (MSFT) says it sold 750,000 Xbox consoles during Black Friday week.
- This "Getting in Bed With Gadgets" report claims that one in three smartphone owners would give up sex before their phones. Ninety percent of 18- to 29-year-olds sleep with their smartphones. And roughly half check their smartphone for no reason when they wake in the middle of the night.
- The living room. That's where Microsoft is sexy. Take Xbox and market it as more than a gamer's toy. Make it the all-around family entertainment system. Microsoft is killing Apple in the living room, why put up this fight in the bedroom? Hit Apple where it's weak. It's getting nowhere fast with Apple TV. Exploit that weakness because it's a Microsoft strength.
- The automobile. Apple is making strides here. Vehicle-integrated Siri is coming to some Chevrolet models soon. Expect Apple to cut more deals. But Microsoft can challenge a fast-moving Apple here. The company powers Ford's (F) excellent Sync product. It needs to invest heavily to own the motor vehicle.
- Office. No words really necessary here.