MetLife announced that it has added a new portfolio to the MetLife Protected Growth Strategies SM lineup available through its variable annuities with the GMIB Max and EDB Max optional benefit riders. The Protected Growth Strategies seek to give consumers more consistent returns over time by responsively managing market risk and identifying opportunities for growth across global asset classes. The MetLife Multi-Index Targeted Risk Portfolio combines a multi-index asset allocation approach with a risk management strategy. Specifically, the portfolio consists of a base portion investing in index portfolios coupled with a volatility overlay that uses an objective, rules-based approach to help manage the portfolio’s volatility. MetLife Investment Management, LLC—a subsidiary of MetLife, Inc.—is responsible for managing the volatility overlay. In May 2011, MetLife was the first insurer to introduce investment options available with their optional benefit riders that expanded beyond traditional asset allocation to include more asset classes and a stronger focus on risk. The Protected Growth Strategies are tailor-made for today’s markets. “We introduced the Protected Growth Strategy portfolios to offer consumers a better balance between growth potential and market protection, and, as a result, have received a very positive response from the marketplace,” said Elizabeth Forget, Senior Vice President, MetLife Retail Annuities. “Our customers have found that the Protected Growth Strategies have helped smooth out portfolio volatility while being invested in global markets. The introduction of the MetLife Multi-Index Targeted Risk Portfolio combines the ease of investing in index portfolios with the proven risk management skills of MetLife Investment Management.” The portfolios’ key characteristics include:
- Risk managed – By monitoring key indicators of market risk and volatility, these portfolios seek to emphasize growth when markets are more stable and protection when markets are more risky.
- Professionally managed – These portfolios offer the expertise of leading firms and access to investing techniques once available primarily to universities, endowments, and other large institutions.
- Responsively managed – By seeking to anticipate risk and responding quickly to changing market conditions, these managers look for opportunities across global asset classes.
- AllianceBerstein Global Dynamic Allocation Portfolio
- AQR Global Risk Balanced Portfolio
- BlackRock Global Tactical Strategies Portfolio
- Invesco Balanced-Risk Allocation Portfolio
- JPMorgan Global Active Allocation Portfolio
- MetLife Balanced Plus Portfolio (co-managed with PIMCO)
- MetLife Multi-Index Targeted Risk Portfolio
- Schroders Global Multi-Asset Portfolio
Withdrawals of taxable amounts are subject to ordinary income tax and, if made before age 59½, may be subject to a 10% Federal income tax penalty. Withdrawals will reduce the living and death benefits and account value. Withdrawals may be subject to withdrawal charges.Variable annuities other than Preference Premier® are issued by MetLife Investors Insurance Company on Policy Form Series 7150 (12/00), MetLife Investors USA Insurance Company on Policy Form Series 8010 (11/00); both at 5 Park Plaza, Suite 1900, Irvine, CA 92614 and in New York, only by First MetLife Investors Insurance Company on Policy Form Series 6010 (02/02) and 4506 (06/02); 200 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10166. The Preference Premier variable annuity is issued by Metropolitan Life Insurance Company on Policy Form Series PPS (07/01); 200 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10166. Preference Premier is offered through MetLife Securities, Inc. and New England Securities Corporation; both at 1095 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036. All products are distributed by MetLife Investors Distribution Company; 5 Park Plaza, Suite 1900, Irvine, CA 92614. All are MetLife companies. 1 EDB Max IV is not available in New York.