Autodesk University-- Autodesk, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADSK), the leader in cloud-based design and engineering software, today announced Autodesk FormIt, a new free* mobile app that allows building design professionals to conceptualize, analyze, and share early design ideas and forms. Available on the iPad, FormIt allow users—at all levels of expertise—to capture building design ideas digitally and support a Building Information Modeling (BIM) workflow in the earliest stages of design. The announcement was made today at the main stage keynote at Autodesk University. “Design professionals are increasingly working on the go and Autodesk FormIt helps them to capture building design concepts digitally anytime, anywhere ideas strike,” said Nicolas Mangon, senior director, AEC strategy and marketing, Autodesk. “Instead of scribbling these ideas and sketches on a napkin, FormIt lets users easily create designs on their iPad and then share them with other users through Autodesk 360 for further collaboration and analysis.” Autodesk FormIt uses real-world site information to help users create forms in context and support early design decisions with real building data. Autodesk FormIt enables users to:
- Form expressive design ideas on mobile devices, and experience a continuous BIM workflow to desktop applications, such as Autodesk Revit and Vasari, which is now available as a public beta.
- Create forms from a gallery of shapes and manipulate designs using their hands for easy model changes.
- Easily access site information that allows them to set the exact project location and create design forms in context of the proposed building location.
- Make informed early design decisions by studying shadows using the location aware sub path tool; track gross building floor area as designs develop; and address easement and property line issues while exploring building footprints.
- Store and share designs to the cloud using Autodesk 360 web services**.