Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. Chesapeake Energy ( CHK) pushed the Basic Materials sector lower today making it today's featured Basic Materials laggard. The sector as a whole closed the day up 0.3%. By the end of trading, Chesapeake Energy fell 59 cents (-3.3%) to $17.24 on average volume. Throughout the day, 12.5 million shares of Chesapeake Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 13.4 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $17.08-$17.52 after having opened the day at $17.49 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $17.83. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that declined today were: McMoRan Exploration ( MMR), down 22.5%, GeoGlobal Resources ( GGR), down 18.2%, Cereplast ( CERP), down 14.9%, and Oxford Resource Partners ( OXF), down 10.7%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- You can view the full Chesapeake Energy Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.