NOOK Media LLC, a subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), a leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, announced today that NOOK HD and NOOK HD+ are now available to purchase in the UK. NOOK HD features the highest resolution 7-inch display and the 9-inch NOOK HD+ is more than 20 percent lighter and nearly half the cost of the leading full-size tablet.
For those who want to enjoy reading and entertainment on a larger scale, NOOK HD+ offers a full HD 9-inch display for up to 1080p for movies, magazines and more. The fully-laminated display reduces glare and provides excellent viewing angles – perfect for personal or shared viewing. At only 515g, NOOK HD+ is the lightest full HD 9-inch** tablet ever invented. It is power-packed by a 1.5GHz dual-core processor for a fast, smooth customer experience, whether web browsing; reading books and magazines; watching videos; using apps or checking email. Offered in the colour ‘Slate,’ it has great battery life and expandable memory for even more storage. NOOK HD+ is available for 16GB for £229 and 32GB for £269, two amazing prices for a brilliant, super-light 9-inch full HD tablet.Both NOOK HD and NOOK HD+ offer a range of new features in addition to access to an expansive collection of content:
- NOOK Profiles: A personalised experience that instantly transforms the device into any family member’s very own tablet. Adults can use personal passwords to easily protect and access their books, magazines, videos, apps and their personal email accounts, while their children can dive into digital picture books, educational apps and kid-friendly videos.
- NOOK Newsstand™: An expansive collection of magazines and newspapers available by subscription and single copies. The NOOK Magazine experience adds a visual table of contents to view thumbnails of the entire magazine and super-fast, 3D-like page turns. ArticleView™ lets the reader focus only on the text, customised to their needs, and NOOK Scrapbook™ allows readers to virtually clip pages of interest and save them in customised digital scrapbooks.
- NOOK Apps™: Customers will find all the most popular and bestselling top 100 app titles including Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja, Words with Friends and many more, all optimised for the stunning displays. The NOOK Store provides helpful age recommendations for parents, can be browsed by subject area, and has the broadest and the most curated app collection of children’s educational apps on any Android store.
- NOOK Channels™: A new shopping experience that allows customers to easily shop by department or explore Channels based on personal interest to discover great new content.
- NOOK Books™: In one of the world’s largest digital bookstores, find more than 2.5 million books, including interactive children’s picture books; comic books and graphic novels; picture-perfect art, photography, travel guides; and cookbook titles.
- Other Must-have Tablet Features:
- Top-end processors make the newly-designed browser fast, simple and smooth to surf favourite sites with a tap, pinch and zoom.
- A built-in email app offers new features in an easy-to-use, clean format that supports a host of popular personal and work-related email services including Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync.
*NOOK HD contains 243 pixels per square inch. The greater number of pixels per square inch means a substantially higher screen quality.**NOOK HD+ weighs 515 grams and has a resolution of 256 ppi. Full HD (or Full High Definition) provides a resolution that is higher quality than that of HD (or High Definition) and substantially higher quality than that of SD (or standard definition). About Barnes & Noble, Inc. Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. The company operates 689 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web’s largest e-commerce sites, BN.com ( www.bn.com). Its NOOK Media LLC subsidiary is a leader in the emerging digital reading and digital education markets. The NOOK digital business offers award-winning NOOK ® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store™ ( www.nook.com), while Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC operates 667 bookstores serving over 4.6 million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States. Barnes & Noble is proud to be named a J.D. Power and Associated 2012 Customer Service Champion and is only one of 50 U.S. companies so named. Barnes & Noble.com is ranked the number one online retailer in customer satisfaction in the book, music and video category and a Top 10 online retailer overall in customer satisfaction according to ForeSee E-Retail Satisfaction Index (Spring Top 100 Edition). General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com. NOOK ®, NOOK Store™, NOOK Video™, NOOK Video Apps™ are trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc. Other trademarks referenced in this release are the property of their respective owners. Follow Barnes & Noble on Twitter ( www.bn.com/twitter), Facebook ( www.facebook.com/barnesandnoble) and YouTube ( www.youtube.com/user/bnstudio). About NOOK Media LLC NOOK reading and entertainment products make it easy to read what you love, anywhere you like™ with a fun, easy-to-use and immersive digital reading experience. With NOOK, customers gain access to the expansive NOOK Store™ of more than 2.5 million digital books, plus periodicals, comics, apps, movies and TV shows, and the ability to enjoy content across a wide array of popular devices through free NOOK Reading Apps™ and NOOK Video apps, available at www.nook.com/freenookapps. NOOK owners receive Always Free NOOK Support in any of Barnes & Noble’s nearly 700 bookstores. Find NOOK devices in Barnes & Noble stores and online at www.nook.com, as well as leading retailers including Best Buy, Walmart, Target and many others. NOOK products are also available in the United Kingdom through www.nook.co.uk and leading retailers. For more information on NOOK, follow us on www.twitter.com/nookBN or www.twitter.com/nook_UK and www.facebook.com/nook.