- Parking-related claims increased 36.5% when compared to Fridays two weeks before and after Black Friday
- The increase in Black Friday parking claims doubled from 2010 to 2011
- Nearly 25% of Black Friday accident claims occurred in parking situations
- Additional Black Friday claims included:
- Rear-ending someone or getting rear-ended, accounting for 12.57% of claims
- Hitting a parked car or having your parked car struck, totaling 11.13% of claims
- Backing into another car or having your car backed into, accounting for 7.68% of claims
If you have an accident, report it to police and your insurer immediately, even if it seems minor. That way, you’re protected in case the other party doesn’t have insurance or files a claim. This is especially important if it’s a hit and run, because in addition to helping you with your insurance claim, the police can access parking lot security cameras that might have caught the accident. In most instances, the damage will be covered through your Uninsured Motorist coverage or Collision coverage, assuming you’ve opted to get those coverages. If you’ve hit a parked car or other property, and can’t find the owner, securely attach a note with your name and contact information to it, then notify the police and your insurer.People who are insured by Progressive can file a claim by calling 1-800-PROGRESSIVE, online at progressive.com or through the Progressive mobile app. About Progressive Celebrating its 75 th anniversary in 2012, The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies (collectively, “Progressive Insurance”) makes it easy to understand, buy, and use auto insurance. Progressive offers choices so consumers can reach it whenever, wherever, and however it’s most convenient—online at progressive.com, by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE, on a mobile device or in-person with a local agent. Progressive offers insurance for personal and commercial autos and trucks, motorcycles, boats, recreational vehicles, and homes. It’s the fourth largest auto insurer in the country, the largest seller of motorcycle insurance, and a leader in commercial auto insurance. Progressive also offers car insurance online in Australia at http://www.progressiveonline.com.au. Founded in 1937, Progressive continues its long history of offering shopping tools and services that save customers time and money, like Name Your Price ®, the Snapshot Discount ®, and a concierge level of claims service. The Common Shares of The Progressive Corporation, the Mayfield Village, Ohio-based holding company, trade publicly at (NYSE:PGR).