To help dialysis patients enjoy healthy eating during the holidays, FMCNA offers the following tips:Holiday Eating Tips for Dialysis Patients Before the party:
- Ask your host what’s on the menu. Offer to bring something you can eat.
- Make family and friends aware of your diet restrictions.
- Snack before the party so that you aren’t too hungry when you arrive.
- Avoid temptation – keep away from the buffet table.
- Know your diet so that you can make wise food choices.
- Put sauces and gravies, which are often salty and fat-laden, “on the side.”