- Synchronous replication enhancements that can improve resiliency for data recovery and provide multi-site replication flexibility designed to reduce recovery time and recovery point objectives;
- Expanded Microsoft integration with new Windows Server 2012 support;
- Enhanced security and reduced administration time with Active Directory and LDAP support that automates and integrates Compellent storage with a corporate directory to enable a single authentication and authorization process for granting access;
- Improved federal government security by supporting USGv6/IPv6 requirements for a wide range of available IP addresses; and,
- The ability to intelligently alert and recommend placement of volumes across multiple arrays based on proactive performance and capacity monitoring.
New PowerVault MD3 software application integration and efficiency capabilities include VMware vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI) support, which allows customers to offload certain storage related tasks from the server to PowerVault arrays. New thin provisioning capabilities enable arrays to automatically allocate storage as needed for simplified and cost-effective expansion of capacity.Dell Boosts Data Protection Portfolio to Simplify Data Backup and Recovery Dell’s growing data protection portfolio enables customers of all sizes to attain unmatched data and application protection and recovery capability times for virtual, physical and cloud environments. Dell provides complete backup, replication and recovery solutions designed to maximize data efficiency, improve IT agility and help ensure business resiliency. Additions to the Dell data protection portfolio include:
- Dell PowerVault DL4000 — Optimized for small to medium enterprises and remote offices, the first backup appliance based on Dell AppAssure software provides a fast and complete backup and disaster recovery solution for business-critical applications and data with seamless integration of software and system management. With 5.5 terabytes of internal storage capacity, this 1U turnkey appliance offers established snapshot, replication, de-duplication and compression software for efficient use of backup capacity. Users can benefit from hosting two virtual standby machines that protect critical applications for up to two servers, offering quick disaster recovery.
- Quest NetVault Backup 9.0 — New Quest data protection software integrates with NetVault Extended Architecture (NetVault XA), featuring a new graphical user interface and a set of shared services to unite multiple Quest data protection technologies for simpler management. The software enables mid- to large-sized organizations to simplify data protection while protecting critical applications in physical and virtual heterogeneous environments. NetVault’s cross-platform capabilities are expanded to Windows Server 2012 and Novell Open Enterprise Server 11, while Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V and VMware vSphere ® enhancements offer improved functionality, performance and scalability. The addition of native replication to the NetVault SmartDisk deduplication solution helps streamline offsite data storage and disaster recovery.
- Dell PowerVault DL2300 — New enterprise-class data protection appliance combines Dell PowerEdge 12th generation servers with CommVault Simpana 9 modern data protection software to offer large enterprises with data backup, recovery, replication, archiving and de-duplication for both physical and virtual servers in one easy-to-set-up, pre-tested solution. The new appliance incorporates latest generation processor and memory capabilities to optimize de-duplication database configurations for higher backup performance. Users can save administrative time with built-in, policy-based automation for managing backup and archiving.
“We've relied on AppAssure for recovery and peace of mind for years on a variety of storage platforms,” said Michael Rapp, information security officer, Center for Information Technology in Education, College of Education, University of Houston. “Dell’s integration of this data protection software into a purpose-built platform could make it even easier for customers to deploy an AppAssure-optimized solution with a minimal amount of set up and configuration work.”Availability:
- Dell Compellent Storage Center 6.3 has planned availability for beta in early 2013 and general availability in Q2 2013.
- Dell PowerVault MD3 software enhancements and Dell PowerVault DL2300 are now available.
- Dell Quest NetVault Backup 9.0 has planned availability in December 2012.
- Dell PowerVault DL4000 has planned availability in Q1 2013.
- Dell Storage Forum Online Press Kit holds solution details, images, videos and more.
- Dell Storage Forum on Twitter
- Dell Storage Forum on Facebook