Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the availability of the AWS Direct Connect service to the Equinix SY3 International Business Exchange ( IBX ®) data center in Sydney. With AWS Direct Connect, customers across Australia can connect their customer-owned and managed infrastructure directly to Amazon Web Services (AWS), establishing a private network connection that can reduce network costs, increase throughput, and deliver more consistent network performance than Internet-based connections. Highlights / Key Facts
- Until now, Australian companies looking to connect to AWS from Australia had to do so through the public Internet, which can have unpredictable connectivity and varying performance. By leveraging AWS Direct Connect via Equinix’s SY3 data center, customers can have a dedicated network connection to the cloud for more consistent network performance.
- Cloud adoption in Australia is rapidly accelerating. According to Forrester, 36 percent of Australian organizations are currently using cloud-based services—a notable increase from 22 percent in 2010 and 14 percent in 2009. With the successful rollout of the National Broadband Network (NBN), cloud demand is expected to rise even more. By 2020, the public cloud market in Australia is projected to be worth $3.2 billion.
- AWS Direct Connect is available in nine locations worldwide, including a total of three Asia-Pacific markets: Tokyo, Singapore and Sydney. New and existing Equinix customers in these regions will be able to lower network costs into and out of AWS by reducing bandwidth commitments to ISPs and taking advantage of reduced AWS Direct Connect data transfer rates.
- In August 2011, AWS established one of its first AWS Direct Connect locations in an Equinix IBX data center, and since then, Equinix facilities in the greater metropolitan areas of Washington DC/Northern Virginia and Silicon Valley now offer AWS Direct Connect.
- Tony Simonsen, managing director, Equinix Australia:“At Equinix, we realize that each customer’s cloud journey is different. We’ve expanded our service with AWS Direct Connect for Australia to give our customers a more consistent network experience, all conveniently housed under one roof.”
- Eric Hui, director of Cloud, IT, Content and Digital Media, Equinix APAC:“Having access to multiple networks within the data center is a critical component of a successful cloud strategy; it helps enhance application performance and ensure redundancy. By providing our customers access to carrier-neutral data center facilities, we hope to allow them to fully tap into the value of AWS via the AWS Direct Connect service.”
- Ian Gardiner, CEO, Viocorp:“By utilizing the AWS Direct Connect service via Equinix Singapore to connect to the AWS Cloud, we have been able to secure the cost benefits of cloud computing with the performance and scalability in a hybrid environment. This has a direct benefit to our customers with increased quality and reduced time to transcode large multimedia files of 200 gig to formats suitable for delivery over the web to many different devices. We are planning to replicate the Singapore setup in Sydney, now that the service is available.”
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.